Jun 12, 2019

Owner Shares Video of MacBook Pro Exploding and Catching Fire

A DJ recently shared an accident where his MacBook Pro just spontaneously combusted.

MacBooks are exploding right now, and by this we mean literally. In a viral Reddit post, a professional DJ recently shared his horrific experience where his MacBook Pro caught fire, and even shared a video to prove it.

"Yesterday afternoon my MacBook exploding during normal use," said DJ White Panda, via his Reddit handle u/whitepandamusic. "It was on my lap, plugged in, and suddenly started to spew smoke out both sides. I quickly placed it on the floor where it popped, the smoke increased, and it caught fire."

White Panda was able to bring the smoking MacBook Pro out of the house, using gloves as the laptop became "scolding hot". While no one was hurt, the steaming MacBook Pro spewed enough smoke and fumes that it triggered the house's smoke and CO alarms to go off. White Panda was also able to video the incident and he later posted it on his Twitter account.

The MacBook Pro cooled down after a few hours, and White Panda brought it to an Apple Store, "in a rage", as he put it. There the Apple staff put the ill-fated MacBook Pro into a fireproof safe, and informed him that an update would be due within the next 24 hours.

After 24 hours and no call, White Panda then reached out again to the Apple Store staff, who informed him that the issue has already been "escalated", and another update will come within 5 days.

For a music producer like White Panda, 5 days is a very long time without a laptop, hence the Reddit rant. "I produce music for a living – FIVE days without my computer is unacceptable. It seemed like a worthwhile piece of information to share with the world, so there you have it."

While White Panda's ordeal was by no means ideal, he is consoled by the fact that it could have been much worse. "Imagine if I had been on a plane," he said. Other Redditors tried to console the DJ by making light of the situation. "Your mix-tape must be hot! Absolutely lit," said one of the highest-rated comments.

While Apple employs rigorous safety tests and abides with U.S. electrical safety standards, there are isolated cases where faulty batteries and hardware can sneak into a device unchecked. The incident with White Panda's MacBook Pro is unfortunate but rare, considering the billions of Apple devices currently in use globally.

Still, it pays to ensure that your Apple device is in top shape. Check if your device has any unusual bulging, as this can be caused by battery swelling and is quite dangerous. If you see any swelling, stop using the device immediately and bring it to the nearest Apple-authorized store or service provider.

More posts for you
Latest Apple MacBook Pro posts