A History That Is Forged By Integration
The Mitsubishi Fuso Truck and Bus Corporation (MFTBC) may have just been established in 2003 but it has a history that dates all the way back to early 1930s. For one, this company's past isn't exactly the most progressive albeit that shouldn't suggest that it isn't rich, as it is as it had its first foray nine decades ago.
It was in 1932 when the Fuso, the first B46 bus, was officially built at the Mitsubishi Shipbuilding Company's Kobe Works. Just two years after that, the Mitsubishi Shipbuilding Company was renamed as the Mitsubishi Heavy Industries (MHI). In 1937, the firm's motor-vehicle operation at the Kobe Works were taken to the Tokyo Works.
The Fuso Motor Sales Company was established in 1949. Three years after such a milestone, it was renamed as the Mitsubishi Fuso Motors Sales company. Prior that, however, the Mitsubishi Heavy Industries was split into three firms – East Japan Heavy Industries, Central Japan Heavy Industries, and West Japan Heavy Industries. Only two years had passed, yet another renaming took place. That time around, it was the Central Japan Heavy Industries that was renamed as the Shin Mitsubishi Heavy Industries. The west and east counterparts also followed suit as the Mitsubishi Shipbuilding and Engineering Company and the Mitsubishi Nippon Heavy Industries respectively. Accordingly, products from these companies were distributed by the Mitsubishi Fuso Motor Sales due to brand recognition.
The Mitsubishi Nippon Heavy Industries then integrated the Tokyo and Kawasaki Works into the Tokyo Motor Vehicle Works. In 1964, the Mitsubishi Nippon Heavy Industries, right alongside the Shin Mitsubishi Heavy Industries and Mitsubishi Shipbuilding and Engineering Company was absorbed to form the Mitsubishi Fuso Heavy Industries.
Meanwhile, the Mitsubishi Fuso Motor Sales was split into two divisions – Shin and Fuso Motors Sales Company. With a shared logo, the distribution of heavy and light machinery was also split. Shin, which distributed the light machinery, branded it as Mitsubishi while Fuso, which distributed heavy machiners, branded it as Fuso.
In 1970, another milestone was achieved as the MHI signed a joint-venture agreement with Chrysler Corporation, culminating to the establishment of the Mitsubishi Motors Corporation (MMC). It was also during this time when MHI transferred its motor-vehicle operations to the former.
From 1975 to 1994, a mixed bag of events befell the company. During this timeline, the Nakatsu Plant and the Kitsuregawa Proving Grounds were opened. MMC was also noted to have merged with the Mitsubishi Motor Sales Company. It was also during this time with MMC and the Mitsubishi Corporation established the joint-equity company – Mitsubishi Trucks of America in the United States. In 1993, MMC and Chrysler ultimately dissolved their equity partnership. Nevertheless, this period ended on a high note as MMC and Mitsubishi joined to design, build, and dispense the Mitsubishi Lancer.
Another major carmaker joined MMC with its evident aim to strengthen their other operations. The Swedish carmaker Volvo joined the company's truck and bus operations, allowing the former to acquire 5 percent of MMC. In 2001, DaimlerChrysler replaced Volvo's partner while MMC yet engaged itself to another renaming, that was the Tokyo Plant Truck and Bus Production Office.
Finally, in 2003, the Mitsubishi Fuso Truck and Bus Corporation (MFTBC) was established. From then onwards several acquisitions on shares were noted from the Mitsubishi Motors Corporation, DaimlerChrysler, and other Mitsubishi firms.
Today, the MFTBC is now part of the Daimler Trucks Division of Daimler AG.
Mitsubishi FUSO in the Philippines
The very first FUSO dealership in the Philippines was established on December 1, 2016. Dedicated to the sale of the local arm's new FUSO vehicle and aftermarket services at that time, the dealership is under the management of Diamond Motor Corporation (DMC) which is strategically situated in Quezon Avenue in Quezon City.
The first FUSO outlet measures approximately 2,891 square meters and is fully-capable of accommodating the aftersales demands of its customers, may it be from the Light-Duty lineup down to their Heavy Duty trucks. Currently, the DMC FUSO QA features five work bays, complete tools, equipment, and genuine spare parts, besides manufacturer-certified technicians.
During this inauguration, two new FUSO models were introduced – FUSO FI and FUSO FJ.
The 6-wheeler FUSO FI is the company's additional entry in its now-expanding Medium Duty Truck segment. It boasts of a new generation 4D37 diesel engine which produces 172 HP and 520 Nm of torque while lowering its overall operating cost at the same time. The vehicle's 6-speed manual transmission, on the other hand, is added specifically to make its operation smoother which ultimately improves driving efficiency.
All thanks to its deeper and thicker frame members in its chassis which are also shot-peened and powder-coated, the vehicle provides greater surface strength and a corrosion-resistant feature.
The same can be said with the FUSO FI's stylish and aerodynamic front fascia design, which easily makes this entrant more fuel efficient while the wind noise is greatly reduced. The FUSO FI is also the first in its class to offer a standard air-conditioning system.
The Herculean 25-tonner, 10-wheeler FUSO FJ (2528R) is the company's first Heavy Duty Truck in the Philippines to come with a natural 32 feet cab-to-end chassis. It is powered a fuel-efficient 6S20 diesel engine which allows the vehicle to rev up an output of 282 HP and 110 Nm of torque. Meanwhile, its engine is mated to a 9-speed transmission which is also designed to smoothen its operation, besides improving its acceleration and fuel economy.
The FUSO FJ also shared some numerous offerings with the FI. Among these features include its stylistic and aerodynamic front fascia design language and the standard air-conditioning system.