Haima - the Chinese automobile in Philippines
FAW Haima Automobile Co Ltd popularly known as Haima is based in China and is the automotive division belonging to FAW Group. It was established in 1992, and was a joint venture of Hainan (a province in China) provincial government along with Mazda to manufacture car models for sale in the Chinese market. Later, in 2006, Mazda's venture was digested by owners of FAW Group. In 2013, about 157,242 passenger cars models were marketed in China alone making the company the twelfth largest Chinese car brand. Haima entered the Filipino market holding the hands of the respected and trusted LausAuto Group.
Initially named Hainan Mazda Motor Co. Ltd., it was founded on January 1992 and is a private enterprise. The company has its headquarters in Haikou, Hainan, China. The shares of the company are divided among FAW Group with 49%, Hainan Automobile Group with 49% and Hainan Provincial Government with 2%.
Although it got separated from Mazda in 2006, Haima had retained all the rights to receive technological help from its ex-partner in automobile manufacturing. In 2009, Haima was reported to sell a model similar to that of Mazda without the latter's consent and as a result lost the right of using Mazda's technologies. Haima's logo represents a "mythical bird" flying away from the Sun. Hainan has three manufacturing plants in Haikou, Zhengzhou and in Hainan respectively. The newest assembly plant of the three was built in Hainan, during August 2008.
Haima has always been on the news with its new plans to spread its wings over the whole world. Some recent activities and news of this company are as follows:
- Haima participated in the 2014 Moscow Auto Show in Russia. The company displayed Haima 7, M3, M8, S7 and S5 and two turbo engines- 1.8T and 1.5T.
- 2.The company debuted new models of era 2.0 along with the new Haima S5, M3, M8 and S7 at the Beijing international Automobile Exhibition.
- 3.Haima Automobile is ranked the 78th place in the British brand value consulting company, Brand Finance Plc.
- 4.On November 3rd 2013, Haima snatched the first position in CTCC, China Touring Car Championship. The company has won the title for 3 years in a row now and has defended its annual championship of the CCTC Manufacturer Cup.
- 5."First Haima7 Technical Training for Russian Dealers" was successfully completed in Moscow on 1st November 2013.
- Haima invited overseas media for visiting China's Base. The M3 appreciation conference was held successfully for Russian Media.
- Haima launched M3 in Philippines on November 15th at Activity centre of Marquee mall in Angeles City.
- Haima officially launched Haima7 on July 17, 2013 in Myachkovo testing grounds in the suburb of Moscow.
- Hainan Motor Works was first established in China in 1988.
- Its name was changed to Hainan Mazda Co. Ltd in 1992 & initiated cooperation with Mazda.
- In 1994, the company was granted ISO 9000 Quality System certificated being the first Chinese CBU manufacturers.
- Shanghai Haima Research & Development centre was established in 2003 to work on the designs and development of the future models.
- FAW Haima Automobile Co Ltd was established in 2004.
- The first Haima Family Sedan was launched in 2006.
- Haima was certified ISO/TS 16949 in 2008.
- In 2009, Haima introduces its models to Philippines Automobile market in collaboration with LausAutoGroup.
- Haima inaugurated its KD Assembly unit in Russia.
- Haima's engine 474 Q was awarded the "Chinese Annual Top Ten Engines" Award.
Haima presently manufactures the following models in collaboration with Mazda:
- Haima 2 (1.3 & 1.5L)
- Haima Freema (1.6 & 1.8L)
- Haima 1 (1.0L)
- Haima 3 (1.6L; hatchback model)
- Haima 7 SUV (2.0L)
- Haima 3 Sedan (1.6L)
- Haima Family (1.6L)
- Haima F Star (minivan model)
Out these models, Haima currently offers Haima 1, Haima2, M3, 7, Dropside, F Star PC and F Star 5 to the Filipino market. Isabel Granade, a Filipino actress and singer, is the new face of Haima Philippine.